Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Cilka's Journey

Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)Cilka's Journey by Heather   Morris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'll be honest and say that I did not love the writing in the original "The Tattooist of Auschwitz", though the true experiences of those survivors is remarkable - but when I heard about "Cilka's Journey", I didn't initially realize the two stories were connected. That said, this book is better written and works well as a follow-up read or a stand alone read.

Full disclosure that Cilka's story is based on her life and is gut-wrenching over and over again. Morris does not hide away from grim realities and occasionally, I couldn't believe I was subjecting myself to such a heavy story. The untold stories of real life survivors like Cilka - fictionalized or not - really do need to be told. We can be better to each other. There's just no excuse for what happened to the men and women in Cilka's camps.

I'd say happy reading, but it's not quite that type of book....

ps. I think I will always associate this book with taking Hudson on walks through Alpine neighborhoods. 

No comments: