Friday, May 22, 2020

Chosen Ones

Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's been a week and a half since I finished this book, and I still am at a bit of a loss for what to think. Chosen Ones is Roth's first foray into writing for adults. However, besides some profanity and the acknowledgment of sex, it did not seem more profound or stretching than her wildly popular Divergent series. For an author so desperate to insert Christian symbolism into the Divergent series, this one seemed almost the antithesis with the inability to see a true hero or light to follow. The premise is intriguing and the main characters are interesting, but the story is so odd and the futuristic elements sometimes hard to grasp or believe. I don't know if my ambivalence is that this book strayed too far from my usual type of book or that we're seemingly living in a dystopian novel right now, so reading about another messed up world wasn't as engaging as it has been in the past.

The short version is that I didn't love it, but I am fascinated enough by the story and the characters to read the next one. Also I really liked the creative element of news captions to open each chapter - it added a depth and reality to Roth's fictional setting.

How's that for a mixed review? Still, happy reading and good luck navigating our crazy world right now.

No comments: