Tuesday, May 19, 2020

I'd Give Anything

I'd Give AnythingI'd Give Anything by Marisa de los Santos
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I usually love Marisa de los Santos, but I just didn't love this book. I still would 100% recommend all her others, but this one fell a little flat for me. I've been dying to talk to someone else about it because I felt like this one just was too far reaching in terms of the plot and how juvenile some of the adults are. I'm also confused because the book is sold as being a part of the "Love Walked In" set, but I couldn't find the tie. I LOVE "Love Walked in", and so maybe I was disappointed too early on since the relationship with the previous stories wasn't clear. I think I also just didn't buy some of the main characters' choices and relationships because they're supposed to be my age...and I just can't handle story lines where high school experiences and effects are still the defining element of someone's life. It's not that I don't think high school effects us going forward, but what have the last twenty years been? It has to be more nuanced.

I don't know. Someone in my reading circle tell me what your thoughts are. Maybe I'm missing something???

Happy reading and happy truth telling--

ps. The best character in the book is the main character's daughter, Avery....though reading her name over and over again convinced me that I like other girls' names better for my future daughter. Always updating that baby name list...even when I'm currently pregnant with a boy. :)

No comments: