Friday, August 14, 2020

Know My Name

Know My NameKnow My Name by Chanel Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Exceptional, devastating, gut-wrenching, essential - there are so many ways to describe this book, but they don't really do justice how necessary it is that we bring conversations about sexual assault to light. The number of women assaulted is staggering. The number of women who receive unwanted sexual attention is ridiculous.

When I was a freshman in college, all the girls in the freshmen dorms were given whistles to blow in case of an emergency. We laughingly joked about being in a dangerous situation and asking the perpetrator to pause what they were doing so we could blow our whistle. The idea that the whistles were any sort of solution is so disturbing and so futile. More concerning is reflecting back on how many times I have have been on the receiving end of unwanted attention and how little I felt I could do at the time. Why is that still a reality? Why was Chanel's experience even a thing?!

Chanel Miller is remarkable because she using her voice and her experience to give validate and strengthen others. We have to do and be better. We cannot keep putting the weight of good behavior on girls saying that they are the ones that are responsible for keeping themselves safe....

Too much to say so I'll stop there, but this should be essential reading. That said, it could be extremely triggering and Chanel is very straightforward.

I can't say happy reading as I usually do, but it seems fitting to end with the quote, "We read to know we're not alone." Chanel Miller's book certainly gives that feeling of camaraderie to people who need it.

No comments: