Friday, February 12, 2021

The Answer Is...:Reflections on My Life

The Answer Is…: Reflections on My LifeThe Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life by Alex Trebek
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There are few pop culture icons that have woven so seamlessly into our lives as Alex Trebek and Jeopardy. It has literally been on the air for as long as I can remember. Even if you haven't watched it much, you can identify the host and know the music instantly or the idea that you're supposed to answer in the form of a question. I read this in part because my adopted grandparents LOVE Jeopardy and would sometimes interrupt dinner to move into the family room to watch it (pre-DVR, of course). I read it too because Trebek was almost the same age as my own grandparents, and his experiences somehow felt like insight into their lives, and lastly, I read it because I wish I watched more Jeopardy. I love trivia games even when the categories are woefully out of my league.

The book is entertaining. It's not enormously detailed, but under the circumstances (Trebek was dying from terminal cancer as he wrote it), it was pretty good. I learned some fun trivia and realized I liked Trebek even more than I thought I did. The answer is...I'm glad to have read it.

Happy reading-

Ps. One of my most quoted SNL references is part of a Jeopardy skit when an actor pretending to be Sean Connery says, "I can read Trebek." Definitely worth finding it on YouTube if you've never seen it.

No comments: