Friday, April 30, 2021

When the Stars Go Dark

When the Stars Go DarkWhen the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this book up purely because of Paula McLain's previous work. I still think of her book, The Paris Wife, all the time. If I had known it was about kidnapping and the disappearances of girls, I'm not sure I would have read it. When Polly Klaas and her kidnapping wove into the other storylines, I was caught off-guard. That kidnapping and murder is one of my earliest memories of cruel and criminal behavior that I was aware of and following in the news with my parents. Polly's picture was posted in our church building and all over town. Thus, a book set in the Bay Area (which is normally so appealing to me) and Mendocino County with such a serious subject matter is not for everyone.

That said, McLain is a great writer. She handled a dark story well and managed to seamlessly shift between real and fictional details. I can't say that I recommend this book for all readers because it has so many potential triggers, but it's a powerful story, well told.

Happy reading--

ps. 4.5 stars

No comments: