Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reason for the Season No.2

When I came up with the idea of writing the things I am most grateful for this holiday season, I had a few specific ones in mind. All of those slipped away today as I met the new custodian who cleans my classroom each day after school He was optimistic and had an energy that I rarely see in our overworked custodial staff. We got to talking and I learned a bit about Sergio's life as he emptied the garbage cans (and complimented my classroom - extra points ps and by the way, since I just decorated for Christmas). I learned that Sergio works at San Ramon from 3pm to 11pm, Monday through Friday, and works at a local country club from 5am to about 1:30pm to support his wife and baby. Yet, he was grateful for his job and for his new little one. What a humbling experience for me - I thought that some of my days were long. They are nothing compared to Sergio's, and still he greets everyone with a smile.

So my Reason No.2 is two fold - one, I am so grateful for my job--that it's secure and what I want to do. I chose it - I'm not forced into it. I can take time off and not worry about having food on the table or heat in the winter. Two, I am grateful for optimistic, can-do people that help set the pace for rest of us. If Sergio can do it on four hours of sleep and two jobs, I can certainly do it too.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm always so impressed when I meet people like that. It makes me realize that I have very little to complain about. Thanks for sharing. I miss you a ton. I think we need to have a reunion when Emerald gets back.

Kaylinn said...

Isn't it so true. 1-I too am grateful for my custidian in my room. Especially post project day. I feel so bad then. 2-How wonderful to have a job that fits my lifestyle, schedule, and personality. I agree!

Shelly Meron said...

Spot on... In these times, those of us with jobs and benefits really have to be grateful for every single day were employed. I'll try and think of Sergio the next time I'm feeling not-so-excited about my job and schedule...