Monday, December 1, 2008

Reason for the Season No.1


When Patti Mortensen told me two years ago, "Oh you have to meet the Katies," I had no idea what she meant. I was barely out of college and teaching in Utah. When was I ever going to cross paths with Patti's Saint Mary's students? Fast forward a year, and I was teaching at San Ramon with the infamous Katies. I was still in shock over my divinely orchestrated move to California, and just as Patti had forseen, instant friends. The Katies were the first people to come meet me at my new school. They were my first connection to "the group" (our quirky, but cool clique at SRV - yes, high school teachers are still caught up in drama of their own). They listened to me, laughed with me, and agreed with me with I thought the "higher-ups" were going to force me into early retirement with their "collaborative" ideas. Now another year later, Katie Milner has made the trek to Colorado to be with her fiance leaving Katie Finegan and I as the sometimes good humored, sometimes sarcastic pair that creatively tries to make it through the joy that is public education (not to mention life in general).
Fin is everything I need in a friend and coworker - she loves movies and books. She grew up watching Dr. Quinn and Anne of Green Gables. She loves trivia and is close with her family. Katie is funny, honest, and brilliant. Truly, each school day is better because I know Fin is just down the hall. She is a reminder that God is mindful of our needs, and so she is one of my reasons for the season.

ps. From left to right in the picture taken just before halftime at the homecoming football game - Jaclyn, Julie, Katie, and Echo (Zach is our lone wolf on the second row). San Ramon won that game by the way - a crushing victory over Granada. Go Wolves!

No comments: