Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ya-Yas in Bloom

Ya Yas in BloomYa Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells<
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If I had read this ten years ago, I probably would have given it five stars. After all, in high school, I was obsessed with all things Ya-Ya. Seriously - I read Little Altars Everywhere and Divine Secrets multiple times. I loved Sidda and her artistic take on the world. I loved the idea of friends being best friends since childhood. I loved the Southern phrases and the references to entertainers through the decades. And, of course, I loved the drama of it all.

Now, while I enjoy the books, I see more of Wells' formula, more of her pattern. Don't get me wrong - I can't help but love the Walkers and the rest of the Ya-Ya gang. I'm just not as willing to follow them anywhere they want to go. So, all that said, if you loved the earlier books, feel free to give this a whirl. If you haven't read the others, don't start here. And remember, as the Ya-Yas would say, life is always better with a drink in your hand.

1 comment:

Janssen said...

I've never read any of these books and I didn't even REALIZE there were multiple books in the series.