Friday, July 24, 2015

Kitchen Confidential

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary UnderbellyKitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars (Technically, a 2.5, but no half stars on Goodreads)

Anthony Bourdain is an ass. There's no other way to say it. He relishes in the salacious, over-dramatic, shock factor details of his work in a way that seems to be trying to make up for the fact that he grew up in a "silver spoon, spend your summers in the south of France" kind of family. But he's a chef, a really good one. And he wrote a book that an app on my phone let me listen to for free. And, despite the fact that I wanted to quit listening to Bourdain because he seems like such a punk, I couldn't stop. I wanted to hear about the sauces, the knives, and the perfectly crafted dinner service. I wouldn't recommend this book to most people. You really have to love the food world and be able to get past ego - major ego. Either way, happy reading and, of course, happy eating.

No comments: