Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Help...Round 3

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I started rereading The Help right as I started reading Harper Lee's new book. I knew I would need a story I loved about 1960s Southern living to counterbalance how unfulfilled I was going to be by the new version of Maycomb. The Help did not disappoint. Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite books. Rereading The Help is like revisiting old friends. I love Skeeter, Celia, Abileen, and Minny. Stockett created women whose lives and stories seem to walk off the pages, and I find myself standing next to Minny cooking a caramel cake and friend chicken or writing prayers with Abileen. I even find myself giggling with Celia as she tries to make a home for her sweet husband Johnny. Mostly I find myself feverishly typing with Skeeter, and my heart is happy. Life may not be perfect, but it is worth living with passion and ideals. If you still haven't read this book, it's a must. Happy reading!

No comments: