Monday, October 2, 2017

Rewind and Redo

The idea that we've been living in fear since 9/11 felt acutely true today when the news of the Las Vegas shooting appeared in my daily news summation email from the New York Times. I'm just sick about it. I don't know anyone who was there, though a past Dougherty student was shot and is in serious condition. My friend's friend broke her ankle trying to get away. None of those experiences are directly mine, but I am still so sad.

We also got district press release today that there have been threats made on two of the neighboring high schools. Besides the death of my loved ones, a school shooting is my greatest fear. Columbine and ten years in the classroom were a sure way to cement that. Though the threats are most likely the poor choices of bored teenagers, they will haunt my dreams and make me anxious all day tomorrow.

Seth and I are working tirelessly to bring children into this world, and I want so desperately to give them a hopeful existence. It's hard to imagine that today. Praying extra for light and love to win the day.

1 comment:

forget laundry said...

dear friend. you have such a beautiful way of expressing yourself. such tragic news. i can't imagine the fear without knowing who's team will win in the end- but even still, so much to take in and worry over. i love you.