Monday, June 10, 2019

Hunger

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) BodyHunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I honestly didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started Gay's memoir. As someone who has struggled with body image issues much of my life, I thought perhaps it might be worth delving further into the topic. That said so much of Gay's story is unflinchingly raw and sometimes gut-wrenching that I wasn't sure how to process it all. Because I didn't know much about the book, I didn't realize that sexual assault would be such a huge part of the story. While I think Gay's story deserves to be told, I can't decide if I'd recommend the book.

I'm sure I uttered an audible sigh when I finished - just grateful to be done. The book serves as another reminder of Henry B. Eyring's advice that, "When you meet someone, treat them as if they were in serious trouble, and you will be right more than half the time.” I couldn't agree more.

Happy reading--

(Book 54 - 2019)

No comments: