Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Gown

The Gown: A Novel of the Royal WeddingThe Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding by Jennifer Robson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

England, historical fiction, the royals, Westminster Abbey, bits of WWII, improbable romance, exquisite details, mystery, triumph over tragedy...this book ticked so many of my boxes, and yet I'm having a hard time putting into words why I liked this book so much. The Gown touches on the ideas that we never fully know people's backstories, that being someone's friend can alter the course of their lives, and that tenacity alongside the little joys in life will ultimately win the day. I loved that this book was literally centered around Queen (then Princess) Elizabeth's wedding gown and the women who made it. Robson's details were so well crafted that I could visualize the workroom where the women sewed, the bridges as they walked to and from their various London destinations, and Westminster Abbey filled to the brim with guests all craning their necks for a glimpse of the infamous wedding gown. The book is so much more than sewing and a royal wedding, but I don't want to spoil any bit of it.

Happy reading and happy time traveling--

(Book 76 - 2019)

*Probably a 4 star read for a lot of other readers, but this was exactly my type of book.

No comments: