Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Warlight

WarlightWarlight by Michael Ondaatje
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I stumbled on Warlight perusing library options because my holds weren't going to be available for a week or two. I liked the premise of post-WWII London and teenage kids being left behind while their parents move to Singapore for work. It was unconventional and Ondaatje's reputation is sound...but this book just wasn't great. The writing is well crafted, but the story delivery made events that should have been heart pounding feel like ordinary reflections on the past. The twists were underwhelming, and I just kept waiting for something to happen. Janet on NBC's The Good Place says, "Humans only live 80 years, and they spend so much of it just waiting for things to be over." Despite good writing, that's how Warlight felt. I just wanted it to be over.

Still as always, happy reading and happy Labor Day--

(Book 81 - 2019)

No comments: