Thursday, September 11, 2008

Numb Toes

Once upon a time, I was a traditionalist. I believed that doctors and western medicine could cure common ailments. Now, I cling to the promises of those I once called voodoo doctors (aka those souls who cracked backs (chiropractors) and poked people (acupuncturists) for a living). There are promises from these new found doctor friends of full mobility and mornings without feeling like a 25-year-old trapped in an 80-year-old's body. This is not a sob story Ladies and Gentlemen-- It is simply a story of toes....toes that don't move without extensive thought and toes that don't feel...numb toes.

Random right? But in all reality, folks, I have two numb toes on my left foot. They can feel pressure, but if I were standing on hot coals, they would the last to aware of it. How might a person end up with numb toes? One precisely positioned needle that nearly sent me flying off the table yesterday during an acupuncture treatment. This is a first...and hopefully a last. Not sure how long the numbness is going to last - my chiropractor said he got an acupuncture treatment last year and his hand was numb for 48 hours only to be replaced by aching pain as the nerve reawakened. Maybe people seek out traditional remedies for a reason....oh well! Just another anecdote to get my students laughing.

ps. Since pictures of my toes would only reveal to you the color of my fabulous nail polish, I'm opting instead for a couple recent shots of Baby Mae. Love her!



3 comments:

Lauren said...

Sorry about your toes. Good thing you've got ten of them. And good thing you are so skilled on your left side as it is, see, left-handedness is paying off in all sorts of ways. Well, I essentially am always on the hunt for new Mae pictures, so this was a successful find for me. Hope your toes feel better!

Unknown said...

Your toes went numb because of the acupuncture treatment? Wild. Keep me posted on how everything turns out. Being a fan of alternative medicine, I'm very much interested. Hope you get feeling back soon.

Natty bee Seely said...

She is so cute.

I hate weird problems with no answers and possibly no solutions. Doug's ear has been ringing for about 10 years now after flying out to visit me while we were dating.