Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Odds and Ends

The chaos of every day living is too much to bundle into a nice succinct post. So instead, here a few odds and ends that are bouncing around my brain...

1. People are always asking "if you could meet one actor, who would it be?" I have never had a conclusive answer until this past weekend. Edward Norton-- I am completely enamored with his ability to transform himself from movie to movie, by his analytical dedication to stories and truth (Yale undergrad, writer, linguist, etc, etc). I watched "Keeping the Faith" for the millionth time and then listened to his audio commentary about directing and producing the movie. It made me want to write a screenplay and pick his brain apart - sounds bizarre and an odd focus, but if my brain is not pondering Mae or "The Painted Veil," it's bouncing to Mr. Norton.

2. Obviously, I love books more than I love food, and amazingly enough, more than I love bubbled beverages. Not all books possess the power to stay with you as you go about your days. "The Painted Veil" (yes, I know it should be underlined. Don't know how to do it...) is that book right now. It captivated me from the very beginning - a tale of romance and betrayal, disappointed expectations and ascertaining purpose - it is not a story for all readers, but I cannot get Walter and Kitty Fane out of my head. Oh, I did watch the movie too this weekend after I finished the book - yes, Edward Norton did play Dr. Walter Fane. Coincidence - though I was not disappointed in any way to watch two movies starring him within a few days of each other.

3. In all reality, Mae should be the only focus of my writing. She is the reason I put off my homework, the reason I do not care to run after a ringing phone. It's almost impossible to imagine life without her though she's barely four days old. Tonight, I had the chance to hold her for an hour straight with no interuption. I patted her tiny back and kissed her perfect forehead while she slept scrunched on my chest. Wish I could put the day job on hold and just spend my time with her-- that's the current dream.

Well folks, that's it for now. I need to go say goodnight to my niece and then dream adapting my first novel into a movie with Mr. Norton--what a perfect to do list.

5 comments:

Marvia said...

Oh Jaclyn, I love listening to what goes on in your brain. :) Mae is so blessed to have such an adoring Aunt to support her in life.
Question on Edward Norton... do you find him to be attractive as well? I find him to be creepy but that's probably because the only movies I've seen him in, he plays a more demented (sp?) character. He is an outstanding actor, though. There aren't too many actors anymore that actually try to become the character.

Megan said...

I think you totally win the best aunt of the year award. And I fully support your love of The Painted Veil. Amazing.

Emily said...

Jaclyn, you look absolutely gorgeous in that picture! I'm sure that you are the cutest little auntie! Love, Emily (B*dke)C.

Becca said...

I'll totally have to read The Painted Veil. And I love babies.

Charlotte May Hutchins said...

This is Ness!
you are too cute. i almost can't handle it. And no worries, i can't remember what it was like not having Mae here either!