Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Losing the Magic

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
When I read Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code," I was transfixed. I ignored everything I had to do for two days so that I could know what Robert Langdon and the captivating Sophie would find out in the final pages. When I finished, I was left wishing there was more. When I finished "The Lost Symbol," I was just glad to be done. It's not the book doesn't have clever plot twists - it's Dan Brown - of course it does. It's not that the characters aren't compelling - hello, man covered from head to toe in tattoos that describe his belief system and his goals or the beautiful scientist who believes she has harnessed the power of thought. And it's not that Brown moved locations from Europe to Washington D.C. - D.C. is a fantastic city and the fact that it's our secrets (not the Catholic church, etc.) is fascinating. That said, "The Lost Symbol" doesn't feel original, and because Brown's name is so big, I know he'll come out with another book in a couple of years even though "The Lost Symbol" isn't fantastic....and I'll buy it because I want to be captivated again like I was when I read my first Dan Brown book. Sad thing is, I don't think I will be....

2 comments:

Marvia said...

I enjoyed the Lost Symbol BUT I feel like I have cracked Dan Brown's code of hints of foreshadowing. I was able to predict many things 200 pages before it was "revealed". I got annoyed with that because too many things were obvious to me and I don't usually pick up on things. So if it was clear to me, it wasn't as well written.

Laurel said...

After Angels and Demons, Lost Symbol is definitely a step down, but I still love Dan Brown. (I didn't really think it was possible to top his last two books.) I'll be right there buying his next book, too. :)