Thursday, December 3, 2009

Amanda???

Today while my sister and I were shopping at Roberts, a girl, who looked just older than I am, started staring at me. She was smiling in that "I know you" kind of way. I assumed she recognized Mae (who I was holding) or Jewels. Then I realized she was talking and pointing at me.

"Amanda? You're Amanda, aren't you?"
"Uh, no. Sorry."
"Oh, wow. You look just like a friend of mine. You have the same teeth and smile. What's your name?"

Our interaction went on for a minute or so more, and then I was off with squirming Mae in tow.

Here's the odd thing -- this is not the first time this has happened to me. I've been mistaken for other girls multiple times during my years in Provo - people swear I'm their friend (probably Amanda) and then say, "Wow, you have a twin out there then." Yeah, like Jewels and I don't look enough alike already - now I have a twin. But, what about the name thing? I've never loved Jaclyn. I don't not like it, but sometimes I've wished for a different name - for sure a different middle name, but most people match their names, and I don't know that I match mine. I've tried Jackie (because so many people thing Jaclyn is too formal). A few special souls (you know are) call me Jac. But, in the end I always end up with just Jaclyn.

Question of the day then - if you were meeting me, what would you expect my name to be? Maybe if I love your idea enough, I'll make a legal switch.... except that my sisters and I call ourselves J-cubed or J-squared. That would be a little hard to do....

7 comments:

Megan said...

I personally am glad your name is not Amanda. I feel like your name fits you...classy, sophisticated, beautiful. And I love that I can call you Jac...That fits you too. Kind of spunky but still sweet. And I love that your name is a little different than the typical Jaqueline...Wow. I love a lot of things about your name.

Unknown said...

I totally agree with Megan. :) I think it fits you, and I agree that Jac can fit you too. You look like a Jaclyn to me. I like it, and you, you're cute! :)

Melanie said...

If you weren't Jaclyn I wouldn't know what to do, so please just stick with your name. And sorry, but you will never be Jackie in my books!

Justin said...

Jaclyn, I can't think of another name for you. I think if it were Jacqueline (?) then maybe it would seem too formal. A friend once passed along this quote to me, and I think it's a good one: "Poetry is calling a cat by its right name" (Theodore Roethke). At least by my lights, Jaclyn is the right name for you. Of course, if you had been named Amanda, or Michelle, or something...

Shelly Meron said...

Feels odd to think of you as anything but Jaclyn. I have another very very good friend, Jacquelyne (that's right - 10 letters). She goes by Jacq, and I love it.

Maggie said...

One of Nate's best friends growing up was named Cameron Creebar. Just a few months ago he and his wife officially and LEGALLY changed their last name to "Crimefighter." I kid you not. Cameron Crimefrighter. So I'm with Megan-- Jaclyn is a totally beautiful, classy name. I say stick with it. :)

Karleen said...

You don't look like a Jaclyn. You look like an angel.