Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hungry for More

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I don't know why I avoid books that lots of people are reading, but I do. I was avoiding "The Hunger Games" because everyone was reading it, and worse - it's a trilogy. I'm not against serial books, but I usually like to wait until the whole series is out before I start. I really don't like waiting, but here I am - another one of those people who didn't just read "The Hunger Games," I devoured it. I confess that it wasn't love from page one. Collins style of writing is halted - the words don't flow together easily. As the first couple chapters progressed though, I found myself not caring about the style of the book anymore because I was so engrossed in the movements of the characters.

Collins' futuristic view of the United States is chilling. There are elements of today's society - our obsession with reality TV and being beautiful, our uncanny way to ignore others who are struggling when we have so much, etc - mixed with societal trends that have actually caused all those nightmarish things we only we worry about now. This book had flavors of Jackson's short story "The Lottery," Golding's "Lord of the Flies," and Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451," and yet "The Hunger Games" was totally unique in its plot development. This story of Katniss and Peeta is not a happy one (not surprising with references to those works) and their day-to-day existence is different from our own. Still, the sentiments feel real, and the concept of extreme government control and inhumane entertainment are not that far-fetched.

Everyone should read this book. Maybe wait until August 2010 before you start so you don't have to wait for the third book to be released. Something tells me though that we won't want that book to end either so, actually - don't wait. Get up and go get the book. Not tomorrow - right now. You won't be disappointed.

[I know this is my third review post in the last week - can you tell what I'm doing with my break? It's been wonderful.]

9 comments:

Jenessa Hutchins said...

i have only one word: love. and yes bonnar would be impressed with my use of a colon. snaps for me =) MUAH

Melanie said...

So happy you finally read this. I can't wait to hear your take on Catching Fire.

Sooter Sweets said...

i loved these books!

Becca said...

Oh man you FINALLY read it! Now go get the sequel. AMAZING. I'm not going to breathe until the 3rd book comes out.

The Leakes said...

So I am not much of a reader, at least not the last several years. But, due to peer pressure I have set a New Year's Resolution for myself to read one book a month. Maybe extreme, but I'm determined to do it. Anyway, my first books on the list are these. I've only heard good things about them, so glad you enjoyed!

Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie said...

What I meant to say was that you are amazing, and I think that maybe you should be writing book reviews as a profession. You could start a blog wholly dedicated to book reviewing and get your readership rolling, and before you know it you'll be rich!! Rich I tell you!! It's brilliant.

p.s. You rock, and we should talk soon. Glad to hear you're enjoying your break!

Jules AF said...

Ugh. I can't read a book that says we'll STILL be obsessed with reality tv in the future! haha

You said you don't like serial books when they all aren't there? Well.... I don't care. Read "The girl with the dragon tattoo" and the sequel... but I can't remember the name of it. They take place in Sweden, and they're awesome. There's a third book that's going to come out soon!

forget laundry said...

I am so glad you loved it- the blood, guts and carnage! it's wonderful, isn't it? do you feel awkward every time you read the name Peeta? for some reason, I did. am I alone? I felt like it needed a hard ending- not peter without the r.