Friday, January 22, 2010

Getting Out of the Bitter Barn

One of my favorite Friends episodes includes Phoebe saying to Chandler, "Get out of the bitter barn and play in the hay." When I was home for a couple days last week as part of "Career Week" (more on that later), I was definitely hanging out in the bitter barn....

I had scheduled an eye appointment knowing that my prescription had gotten worse. I had been squinting at the board - which, of course, brought back bad memories of eighth grade and sophomore year where I was in denial that I had glasses and/or couldn't wear contacts. I left my house in Alamo to drive to my appointment in Concord worried and anxious - what if my eyes were a lot worse? what if my astigmatism had reached a point where contacts wouldn't work anymore? I was getting off 680 at the a few minutes into my drive when Third Eye Blind's "Semi-charmed Life" came on the radio. Talk about a flashback. Fast forward through my drive and a dozen lights on Ygnacio - I had just started climbing the hills that drop you into Concord when The Cardigans came on singing "Love Fool." Suddenly, it was 1997. Lorraine, Jen, Cassey, and I were laughing over brownie mix listening to the "Romeo & Juliet" soundtrack that had come out the year before. "Love Fool" was track seven in case you've forgotten. And then there I was at the eye doctor - not bitter, not worried - feeling a lot more like my younger self.

The eye appointment was fine. My eyes were worse. Dr. Dougherty called it "GSS" or Graduate Student Syndrome (too much studying, too much strain on the eyes). I had to get new glasses and new contacts, but in my more relaxed perspective, I found myself grateful I don't live in the 1800s. There is great technology that enables me to see. Like I said more hay playing, less bitterness. After sneaking in a visit to Lauren at the Clayton PD, I made my way down Clayton Road feeling more than a bit nostalgic being so close to where I grew up. Collective Soul and Matchbox Twenty came on to make it even more nostalgic. Most people would complain that their eye doctor was 25 minutes away, but that Thursday, I was grateful for the drive.

Later that night Vertical Horizon came on the radio as I sat talking with Rachel in her car outside Yogurt Shack. Perfect song for a musically perfect day...

4 comments:

Jules AF said...

Oh man, Love Fool. I have no comment other than that. I might have to watch that movie today.

Lauren said...

OHHHH!!! I LOVE that I am mentioned in this blog. This is a special kind of satisfaction and one of the most exciting blogs I have ever read because I found my name in it! Joy to the world!

forget laundry said...

funny how a song can bring you right back to a moment. I'm having my eyes checked for the first time in years and worried I'm legally blind :) glad you're not.

a.little said...

Ha, Lauren! I love that I knew three people in your blog...Lauren, Rachel and you :) And Ygnacio! It kinda makes me miss that road and eating banana ramas on break with my bro. Way to play in the hay, J!