Sunday, March 13, 2011

Committed

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with MarriageCommitted: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let's be honest - I think I bought this book because I was so in love with Javier Bardem's portrayal of Elizabeth Gilbert's now-husband in the movie "Eat Pray Love" - I can't think of another reason why because I struggled to get through the book, Eat Pray Love, for two years. That's saying something for a woman who burns through books she loves in two days.

Anyway - I don't know what to say about this book. I really liked some bits of it, and others I thought that Liz was taking some pretty serious liberties with not enough research to back her opinions. If you look at it as a novel-length editorial on marriage, then I think you might have a clearer expectation of what you're getting into.

So while I don't buy all that Liz did have to say about love, sex, and marriage, I did love reading about the women in her life and their experiences falling in love and falling out of it, making things work, and simply doing their best with what life has dealt them. Vague I know, but that's all I have to say about it for now.

Oh, and I still love Felipe. The end.

1 comment:

forget laundry said...

you are a book reading machine. and I love it. thanks for the reviews oh great book filter. loving you