Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Crucible (again)

The CrucibleThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I know it’s strange to review books I teach in school, but I get lost in these books for weeks at a time. During this read through, I gained a new appreciation for Reverend Hale. He is Javert from Les Miserables when he arrives in Salem. He believes he is on God’s errand and is there to eradicate any sign of witchcraft. But Rev. Hale turns out to be a better man than Javert. He is willing to believe a flawed man and willing to believe that man’s construction of religion is not the same as following God.

That may not make any sense, but the short version is that I love The Crucible. I think Arthur Miller is a masterful writer, which makes it much easier to return to the same play multiple times a year. (November 2011)

No comments: