Saturday, November 26, 2011

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary LifeEncyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I usually am anti- people in their 30s writing memoirs, but I cannot stop talking about this book. I’ve read portions to all my classes and to anyone I can get to listen. The format and construction of this book is brilliant. So while all passages may not resonate, the overall tone and style do.

I love that Rosenthal takes the profound and packages it next to the mundane. I love that she hones in on aspects of our lives where we could stand to aspire for more and pokes fun at her own idiosyncrasies. Is the book perfect? No. Did I care about every inclusion in her encyclopedia? Of course not. Am I still mildly obsessed? Yes, very much so.

Read it. I think you’ll love it.

No comments: