Friday, February 8, 2019

The Proposal

The ProposalThe Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

For the record, I had this book on hold from the library long before Reese announced it as her February book club pick. It was just a happy coincidence that my library hold came available the same day she made the announcement. The unhappy part is that this book was not for me. This book would make a great romantic comedy movie, but it is not a great book. The premise is great. I loved the idea of a proposal at a baseball game come wrong as the opening, but the whole thing just felt someone writing some fantasy version of what life could be. There was nothing real about it. The characters have too many cliched elements and the dialogue got repetitive. There was too much profanity and too many wannabe Spice channel moments.

I shouldn't have finished the book, but Reese has had such good picks that I kept waiting for something redeeming to happen. I think she and her team chose this because, like I said, this could make a good movie. Movies can deal in more archetypes and cliches. They don't have to spend as much time developing good characters or even worry strength of dialogue as much. I do think some people would really like this book - it seems like a classic beach read. I should have known better though. The book starts at a Dodgers game, and we know that nothing good comes from a Dodger game. :)

Happy reading and happy love month--

(Book 13 - 2019)

No comments: