Sunday, July 10, 2011

American Wife

American WifeAmerican Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“I chose over relationship over my political convictions.” That in a nut shell is what Curtis Sittenfeld’s latest novel American Wife is about. The book is about an assuming librarian from a small town who marries a wealthy son of a politician who eventually becomes the president of the United States. The story is well told and filled with the intricate details I like. However, I didn’t love it. Maybe it’s because I knew it was loosely based on Laura Bush, and so I spent half the book wondering what was true and what was fiction. Maybe it’s because I have been quiet about my political and personal convictions both in relationships and social settings causing myself sleepless nights wondering if I am being true to what I really believe. That said, the book was a very interesting read that gave me more respect for the women (and sometimes men) who stand beside the political forces that are their spouses. I don’t know how they do it.

ps. I may or may not have bought this book because of its cover with the justification that the blurbs on the cover were from reputable sources. Don't judge me please.

No comments: