Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Book of General Ignorance

The Book of General IgnoranceThe Book of General Ignorance by John Lloyd
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

As most of you know, I am a huge fan of random information and factoids. Hence my love of Trivial Pursuit. That said, I did not like this book. The writers are condescending (which is something I cannot stand) and British (which explains the occasional passive-aggressive comment towards the United States). This book is also detailed. I don’t want to know a three-page history of something. Ironically I don’t read these type of books to learn much. I just like the random one-liners and trivial bits of information that I can throw out at cocktail parties. Can’t help myself on that one. But you can help yourself by not reading this. The end.

ps. Did you know that more people are killed by their jobs than alcohol, drugs, and war? Or that America’s favorite pastime (BASEBALL!!) was invented in England? I do know – that is why I read books like this. Seriously – love those little details, just not this book. I really am done now.

No comments: