Sunday, July 10, 2011

Possession

Possession (Possession, #1)Possession by Elana Johnson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am feeling a bit conflicted about this book. On one hand I sat and devoured it in one sitting before I left for Europe. On the other hand I felt like much of the plot was a blending of other teenage dystopian fiction with a few sparks of originality and a strong ending. I think I feel most of my conflict over the fact that Meg’s friend wrote this book. I am in awe that she did that – that she came up with a story and managed to sell it to a publisher. I just wish I loved it more. I would definitely recommend it to young people who loved Uglies or The Hunger Games. My problem is that I would recommend those other books first. All those contradictory things said, it was still an entertaining read. Kudos to Meg’s friend for achieving her goal of getting published and on a national level. So exciting!

On a totally trivial note, I love Johnson’s choice of character names. Vi, Zenn, Jag, Gavin – they roll off the tongue well, and they are completely fitting for the type of story.

No comments: